Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Lab Yu"

He said it again the last time I spoke to him and once again, it made my heart skip a beat. It’s such a blessing for me to hear it. That phrase, meaning ‘I love you’ was from my Tatay (father) while I talked to him on the phone. [He’s living in Toronto while I’m over here in Chiang Mai.] He said it just as I was saying goodbye. I didn’t say it to him first and then him simply echoing me. He just said it and I know he meant it. Thank you, Lord. I know it may not sound like much to you and you may wonder what the big deal is. If you know my Tatay, you’d agree with me that he’d come such a long way. You must understand, he hardly ever talked when I was growing up. He still doesn’t do it much. He’s not only a shy, quiet man, he didn’t hug nor kissed much either. In the past, there were times when I would lie beside him in bed and try and ask him questions or converse with him. Sometimes he didn’t even answer me as he’d be too engrossed in the crossword puzzle he’d be doing. I used to often just leave him in frustration. A little while back, I’d told him on the phone that I loved him and he’d not said anything so I’d add that he should tell me that he loved me too. He’d complied and it was good to hear him say it but since I asked him to say it, it surely didn’t mean that much. Now, he says “lab yu” to me on his own, unprompted, voluntarily, sincerely. Unbelievable. What a joy. I feel loved. “Lab Yu too.”

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Linda
    HI there! tears flowed upon reading your exchanging "lab u" with your Tatay. I will pray for your family. How I missed my father so much, so much like your Tatay, few words, no reactions, but Papa was always there for us, was always there for me being his only girl.
    Im so delighted to see your photo you did not even change a bit, kids got the Angeles' looks.
    You are always my model when we talk about walking with the Lord.
    Lab u!
    Jocel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jocel, lab u too!

    So nice to hear from you. Thank you for your comments. Like you said, your Tatay loved you and wanted to always be there for you. It's sad that some of us find it hard to communicate feelings. I'm glad you 'heard' him and know him.

    I lab u, Jocel, says he.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete