Thursday, January 17, 2013

Falling Leaves

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.
Psalm 116:15
Our oldest son’s friend’s mother died of cancer last Monday. She was just in her mid-50s. When we saw her at our sons’ graduation just last May, she was radiant and full of hope. I remember when I briefly Skype chatted with her earlier last year when her son visited us in Canada. She said she wanted to continue the work the Lord had called them to do in Brazil. During the graduation’s reception, we had the chance to visit some more and I prayed with her for her healing. She lived an extra eight months after that time before going to the one she loved and served.

Today, I just found out that one of our close friends, a “barkada” (a Filipino term for a member of a tightly knit group) in high school passed away due to illness. Although I haven’t seen her in years, I feel the loss. I cannot believe that a friend I’ve grown up with, gone to school with, and hung out with, could already be dead. How is it possible when we’re barely over 50? I will miss her and her friendship. I’ll also miss her cheery and sweet disposition. I’m only consoled by the fact that she believed in Jesus and He was her saviour. In one of our rare phone conversations, she acknowledged her belief in Him. She also indicated that she was ready to go if the time came to do so. We prayed for her healing then and that was around two years ago.

I know I believed both times when we prayed that they be healed. I respect the Lord's wisdom in not answering with a longer time than what they were given. Also, neither were just completely physically healed. Instead, they were spiritually completely healed as they now dwell with the Lord. I don't have the answers, BUT, I am sure that both are much happier where they are now. They’re free from their physical and excruciating pain. They’re also in a place where there are no tears. What could be better? Most of all, they’re with Papa God =) so I don’t think they’ll ever have any problems nor need anything ever again. Perfect bliss. =D

Their untimely departure made me think of my own death and my going to heaven. I don’t know when I’ll be called home but I am ready. I’m very grateful for my life now but I am so looking forward to going home to my final destination (no more moving!).

Last week, I actually took a long climb to the top of a mountain. A monk I spoke to before my ascent told me that there were 990 steps leading to a still unfinished chedi (a mound like structure containing Buddhist relics) which was on the mountain top. I went there to enjoy the panoramic view but I couldn't help but enjoy watching the falling leaves, too. Some leaves danced this way and that before landing gently down. Others dropped unceremoniously down with just a final thud. My favourite are the ones that seem to take the scenic route on their way down. After they twirl, fly, meander, and hang in mid-air; they find their spots and occupy them. Watching leaves fall is such a fascination to me! It’s like Papa God. As indicated by the verse above, our deaths are precious to Him. I know it’s not because He’s a sadist. I do wonder if it’s because He excitedly awaits our spirits to leave our bodies so we could join Him. What a joyous thought! =) I’m looking forward to falling, too, Papa God. One day, I’ll get to see you and join you forever, too. =) YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment