Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Silent Retreat?

Usually, I would get through my once a month 1-day silent retreat without even a glance from anyone. If I do happen to be eating a meal in the dining room and another retreatant walks in, we just avert each other's eyes and concentrate our attention on our food. It's been an unwritten rule; no one talks in this Catholic retreat place. I often go there for an independent 24 hour period where I sleep, read my Bible, pray, be still, listen to the Lord, and finally, take communion. I simply love and treasure my time there.

Imagine my surprise when a knock on my bedroom door (a first!) distracted me from my silent musings. It was followed by a voice inviting me to eat (another first!) supper. I told her I wouldn't eat but she asked again. At this point, I opened the door and was truly shocked to see a Catholic Nun (habit and all) standing behind it. She asked another question and soon found out I was from the Philippines. As it turns out, so was she! She was an English teacher in another province and was just finishing a six-day silent retreat. Having been quiet that long, she was really ready to talk.

I asked to pray for her and she was soon in my bedroom pouring out her problems and concerns. It occurred to me as I listened to her that it was like being in a counseling session. Duh?!! It was a counseling session! Only, this one was obviously ordained by the Lord. Later, she kept saying it was providence and I had to agree with her.

When she left after over an hour, I had to marvel at how the Lord orchestrates situations. Although I thought I was quietly tucked away somewhere, I obviously wasn't. He still managed to send someone to me. I was actually pleased to be used this way. I just knew she had to be heard and knew the prayers had to be said. As Graham Cooke likes to say, the Lord is always up to something. This time, it was great to be able to see what He was up to and take part in it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sharing! It reminds me of something I read this morning about welcoming the interruptions in our lives.

    love from ACF,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete