Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Monitoring Recess or Lives?

Part of what I did last year as Teacher’s Aide was to be the Morning Recess Monitor at Grace International School. This meant standing watch in the playground while the Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 students played for 15 minutes. It sounded easy enough. All I had to do was be there to watch the children and then blow the whistle when 10 AM came. I enjoyed being outside. It also allowed me to watch our 6 year old son Ethan interact and play with his friends. I did not have the novelty of watching my older sons as closely as I did Ethan. I particularly delighted in watching him run across the field while watching his shadow. It’s just too precious.

The Recess Monitor job itself might have been uneventful and boring if the children behaved as they did during their 1st month in school. It was nice and easy. But by their second month, they got used to each other and were soon completely unpredictable and daring. The boys were climbing anything that stood, swinging sideways, and throwing dirt at each other. I’ve had to be the ‘bad’ guy and spoil their fun in many occasions. Once, a second grader actually needed stitches when a swing accidentally hit his head. During rainy days when the children stayed in the gym, they kept running every which way and would inevitably bump into each other. With the noise level being much louder in that self contained play area, it was hard to tell when someone was crying. I actually watched the time and prayed for 10 AM during those ‘hairy’ days so I could blow the whistle.

By Songkran time (in April) I was praying for them incessantly. I remember discussing the difference in the disposition of the children with a parent volunteer helping me out. The kids were tense, impatient, and quarrelsome. The spiritual climate definitely made a difference in how they behaved and I was glad someone else saw it too. Children are so susceptible to the wiles of the enemy. I’m truly glad I helped at recess or I wouldn’t have prayed for them as much as I did. While praying I always remembered a Principal in another international school in the city who grew up as a Missionary’s Kid (MK). He does not want to have anything to do with God and strictly enforces the ‘no-sharing-of-the-gospel’ in their school. But for the grace of God, what would become of our MKs? Pffffttt!

No comments:

Post a Comment