Monday, August 27, 2007

The First Week

The summer has finally come to an end and it's back to the systematic schedule of the school week and the work day.

We started August 14th, on a Tuesday, and started right where we left off last year. I am now in 12th grade, Eric is in 9th, Eli is in 6th, and Ethan is in 1st. As a Senior (12th grader) I was and am constantly told and reminded that the classes I take this year will affect me for the rest of my life. My guidance counsellor actually said that I had better get straight A's this year, and that he was counting on me. Which is great, because motivation is always a good thing.

Along with obvious changes in courses, there are the other, less expected ones. As usual the school underwent a type of massive renovation in and around the building. This year's surprise was an extension of some of the staff offices and retiling some of the walkway beside the pool. This new cement contrasts brightly with the old tiles, and effectively blinds all who walk on or near it when the sun is out.

There are also many new students. This year Grace International School actually has roughly five hundred students, more than any other previous year. This became evident when I started to have the strange feeling that I was at a new school, one with the same uniform and building, but with completely different people.

(The picture to the left is my mother with her Grade 1 class.)

Speaking of new people we are now driving four families to school everyday. We are still driving the Millers and Samuel Hatton like we used to, but we now have an extra four people riding in our van (bringing the total to 11 plus Papa who drives us). Starting back to the first week of school we started picking up a Pakistani family that just moved here. Suffice to say, our van is now very cramped, but it works out and we have yet another opportunity to bless others through it.

To end off this summary of school life so far, my mother's been having a great time teaching. She wraps it up, saying, "It's a lot of fun, but a lot of hard work." We thank God that she's managed to get into the groove of teaching and is now managing her time a lot more wisely than before. We continue to ask God's help in her teaching at school and for her stress levels.

This being my last school year I also ask for prayers from you, and for the rest of my brothers as we strive to do our best in all that we do. Thank you, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment