Monday, May 6, 2013

Trusting and Believing

“God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs
and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick,
and their illnesses were cured …”
Acts 19:11-12

Yesterday, an unusual occurrence happened at church. Our pastor was away so a replacement, his pastor friend from Australia, came to preach at our service. I first noticed him while we practiced for the morning’s worship time which I had the privilege to play the keyboard for. I saw him walking around the sanctuary praying at least 45 minutes before the service started. When he did speak, he followed his introduction by sharing that he received a word from the Lord about someone who was diagnosed recently with a brain tumor (or an aneurysm). He asked for that person to come forward to receive prayer. No one went up but even as he was describing the word he received, I couldn't help but remember my friend, Cor, who was just admitted to the hospital. Another friend who heard the same invitation thought of Cor as well. (This friend wrote me about her thoughts which had been very affirming!) I had sent her an email the day before, requesting for prayers for Cor. Cor’s a childhood friend. We grew up as neighbours in the Philippines so it’s a friendship that had spanned almost 40 years! She has always been a special friend, like a younger sister to me.

April 2011, just before her surgery to remove the
tumor behind her left eye. The tumor had been
pushing her left eye forward and downward.
Now she is in the palliative care of a hospital in Manila to relieve her of constant and intense pain in her head. She’s had a tumor begin at the back of her left eye but it had spread to 40% of her brain. This is why it’s a recently diagnosed brain tumor  Her condition is inoperable. All they are doing is relieving her of the pain. She is constantly sedated to give her some comfort. When I last spoke to her 2 weeks ago, she described her pain at 11, on a scale of 1-10. I also could barely hear her, she was so weak. It’s been heart breaking to know what she is going through. I’ve been praying because it’s all I know to do. What else could I do being here?

Two years ago, I was visiting in Manila when she had an operation to remove the tumor behind her eye (mentioned in the post “Land of Our Births”, April 13, 2011). They couldn't get rid of all the mass! They’d tried in the last two years to stop its growth (by diet and radiotherapy) but they’d obviously been unsuccessful. Yesterday, when I told the visiting pastor about Cor, he and the rest of the church prayed for her healing and he asked for a handkerchief to anoint. He then literally anointed the cloth with oil and instructed me to send it to Cor. It will be on its way tomorrow.

Just like in Acts 3:12, I know the power of healing isn't in the anointed handkerchief. Only Papa God’s power is able to help Cor physically or spiritually get well. As in the verse above, I don’t know why the Lord would choose to work in this way, now. I know I am acting in faith, trusting and believing, just as the visiting pastor did yesterday in calling out the person needing prayer for a brain tumor  He came from Australia to Thailand, prayed for a handkerchief that will soon be on its way to the Philippines. Be glorified, Papa God. We trust in your love, goodness, and faithfulness, and we praise and thank you for what you do.

If you are led, please pray for Cor, her husband Mon, and their five children: Miel, Claudia, Dominique, Diego, and Gus. I will post an update as I am made aware of her situation. This morning, her husband was told that Cor doesn't have much time left. Thank you for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment