Sunday, April 28, 2013

God's Suddenly

Keep your eyes on Me, not only for direction but also for empowerment.
I never lead you to do something without equipping you for the task.
Sarah Young writing for Jesus on (April 23rd’s devotional entry) “Jesus Calling”

At this time of year, beautiful trees like the
above can be seen all over Chiang Mai.
Last Saturday, I was asked by two friends whether I would consider doing something that I actually already thought about doing. When the thought occurred to me, I only briefly considered the idea because I felt it was too preposterous for me to do. I quickly pushed it out of my mind thinking that there was no way I could do it. As the first person asked me if I thought of doing it, I actually admitted that it did cross my mind but I told her that I didn’t think I could do it. She immediately asked me why not and added that it was something she thought I would do well. Quickly adding and telling her that I wouldn't know how to go about doing it, I left her while shaking my head at the notion. Turning to my other friend who heard the earlier exchange, I added that I couldn't believe the first friend would make such a suggestion! The second friend then turned to me and expressed that she thought I could do it. Refusing to believe what I heard twice and choosing to discount it, I drove home bewildered but I couldn't shake off the absurdity of the whole discussion. “What was that about?” I asked myself, and why was it brought to my attention again? I then had a mental conversation with God. I began to wonder if the first time I thought of the idea was actually from Him. I argued (?) and tried to convince Him that He couldn’t possibly be serious in what He was telling me. Surely, He didn’t want me to do it, did He? I tried to tell Him that there was no way I could possibly do it well but He reminded me that with Him, I could do anything.

There are mountains usually seen on the horizon behind
the homes in the picture. Unfortunately, Thais
burn their fields to clear it, causing the unhealthy pollution.
It also grieved me when I realized that He would have to raise another person to do it because I wouldn’t obey Him. I reluctantly agreed but I asked if He could have five conditions happen first. Eng and our sons gave me their blessings which immediately satisfied the first condition. By the evening, the second condition was met after "Skyping" with a good friend. She affirmed that it was a good fit for me. The next day, I talked to a friend I don't normally visit with after church. She shared some news that could easily satisfy the third and fourth conditions so I wrestled with the whole idea again. All of this happened in one day! How could it be happening so quickly? And Eng and my friend sounded exactly the same! Also, how could the friend I was talking to be aware of the information that I needed to hear? Surely, it was God; I could no longer deny it! I began to feel badly about my conditions because I knew that if I was sure it was what He wanted me to do, then why would I need to have my conditions met before I obeyed? Repenting, I rescinded my remaining conditions. I acted on what was suggested and sure enough, the 3rd and 4th conditions were answered.

God’s suddenly comes from nowhere. It happens so fast that it overwhelms and we are left understanding but unbelieving. It’s just so hard to believe! Yet, situations happen and there is no denying His handiwork. After one week, I am amazed that my life will be taking on a new direction in the near future. I’m still getting used to the idea. I choose to trust that the Lord knows what He is doing. I know that whatever my reservations are, He knows best!

We serve an awesome God and He transforms and changes us in a blink of an eye. His suddenly has the tendency to suck our breath out from us (this happened twice to me this past week!) but He is always up to something good. I believe it is best for us to just go along for the ride. We can trust His love and His goodness. =) And, it is disconcerting and scary, but exciting nonetheless! I guess you can say, I would have it no other way.

2 comments:

  1. so, of course, we all want to know WHAT IT IS THAT YOU WILL NOW DO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, all in good time. =)
    Please, tune in again.

    ReplyDelete