Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How Great He Is

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art.
“How Great Thou Art” based on a Swedish poem written by Carl Gustav Boberg
Translated to English by British Stuart K. Hine (who also added two verses)
Popularized by George Beverly Shea and Cliff Barrows in Billy Graham crusades

At houseboats of Mae Ngat Dam in Mae Taeng.
Last week, I was the chaperone to our 17 year old son Eli’s overnight houseboat trip with 8 of his friends. Three of them were just back here to attend our school’s high school graduation and to visit with friends. Their families lived here as missionaries but left as their parents were called back to the US. It was good to see them again. After being with them in the same community for a few years, they just naturally began to feel like extended family. I’m glad we were able to do that together. Eli asked me to chaperone the trip as a few of them weren’t allowed to go without one. It didn’t take much to convince me to go. I wasn’t ready to let (our) 17 and 18 year old young adults to go on their own.  More importantly, I like going to the houseboats. It’s very peaceful there, so conducive to being quiet. I knew if I went, I’d enjoy myself. I truly did! The six young men all acted very gentlemanly. I didn’t have to carry my baggage at all! =) The three young women were also enjoyable to be with. As a group, I gave them the space they needed so they could fully enjoy their time together but I listened and watched them. They’re a hilarious and a very fun loving bunch. It was a privilege for me to be with them.

The adventurous teens devouring their communal food.
The Lord blessed our time together. It’s been really hot here but the day we went, it became unseasonably cold. We even slept overnight with blankets; it was that cold! The teens were also amazed that they found a hidden water trampoline and life-sized ball when they swam across the water and went behind a cove. Like little kids, they rejoiced when they were allowed to play there. One of them said it was a “God thing”. They knew finding the play area was a blessing plus the permission to play there. They stayed there for the most part of the afternoon. But, the highlight of our time was after breakfast. I asked them to take turns sharing about our time and that’s when Michael (Chris Tom’s son) asked to speak last. He said he wanted to pray a prayer of impartation over everyone. He explained that having lost his Dad, he believed there was a special blessing that he could give. I was so touched to hear that. Last year, I was so grieved for him, his mom, and two brothers because on the eve of their departure to leave Chiang Mai for good, Chris was fatally hurt in an explosion. I wrote 3 posts about them last year (from June 24-July 8, 2012). I requested that they be prayed for because I knew they were thrust to mature and face the challenges of life without Chris.

Peace, beauty, and quiet.
Now a year later, I can see the wonder of God’s work in answering that prayer. There I was, witnessing a 17 year old pray an earnest and sincere prayer for all of us. In his loss, Michael (with God’s help) had chosen to purposely bless us, impart to us what he had been given. I saw someone who was sure of his calling, a desire to touch people, just like his Dad did. When Michael left last year, he was a young man trying to understand who he was made to be. He came back with an understanding of who he is.

We have a great God. His ways are not like ours and we sometimes don’t necessarily agree with what He allows to happen. Still, He is always up to something good in our lives. We can trust Him. He is so good. His ways may be incomprehensible and even painful to us but it is always for our benefit. Thank you, Lord. You are GREAT.

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear how God has touched the Tom family. I have prayed for threm often over this last year. Sounds like you all were blessed at the time spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, it's no wonder that the Toms are doing well. I should have known that your prayers are behind it. Thank you! As you are a blessing, the Lord will keep blessing you. =)

    Much love,

    ReplyDelete