Monday, February 13, 2012

Courageous

Who will teach my children to have integrity
and to walk in the ways of the Lord?
I will!
Adam Mitchell in the movie “Courageous”
Before watching the movie “Courageous” at Bayview Glen church here in Toronto, I had something else I wanted to write about. Now I know that if I could encourage just one reader to watch it, it would be worth this post.

The movie is funny, exciting, poignant, and heart warming, all fluidly interspersed at different times in the story. It’s odd that I had tears rolling down my cheeks one moment and yet in the next few seconds I was laughing or chuckling over what’s going on. My emotions went on a roller coaster ride as I watched. There’s also tension, and drama as four men dealt with their struggles as fathers and the relationships within their homes. I wouldn’t elaborate on the plot so future viewers will still enjoy watching it. I just want to point out that the film touched on many important aspects of family life including dating, spending time with each other, providing, having integrity, understanding loyalty in friendship, and most of all, applying the important role that fathers need to live out for their children.

In August 2011, gangs of teenagers started riots, looting, and vandalism in London and other parts of England. Months later, the politicians there blamed the fatherless generation for the attacks. It is sobering to read the statistics of what happens to some of the children of absentee fathers: (from http://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/.

- 63% of youth suicides (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children – 32 times the average
- 85% of all children who show behaviour disorders – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
- 80% of rapists with anger problems –14 times the average. (Justice & Behaviour)
- 71% of all high school dropouts – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)

Hopefully, movies like “Courageous” will encourage some of the male population to rise to their calling and “take the challenge”. If you are not married but want to have your own children, watch the movie and plan to incorporate values from the movie in your future homes. Our three sons watched the movie with us and each one shared what they would strive to do with their future children. Men (especially the loving fathers), I urge you to mentor others. Moms, please teach your sons to be there for their children. Absentee Dads, please live out your roles. It takes time, discipline, guts, and courage, but it’ll be well worth the effort, not just for the kids’ sakes, but most of all, for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment