Sunday, May 20, 2012

23 Years and Counting

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has passed away, behold the new has come!

2 Corinthians 5:17
Last Wednesday was a special and significant date for me as it was my 23rd spiritual re-birthday. The day itself was different from all the other re-birthdays because for the first time in many years, I actually (my phone reminded me) celebrated the day. I was able to share communion with our sons and covenant with them to speak into my life if at any time in the future they find me straying from the Lord’s ways and becoming unfaithful to Him. Before them, I also acknowledged that accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior and inviting His Holy Spirit to live inside of me was the best decision I’d ever done in my life.

I can still remember May 16, 1989 like it was just last week. I was part of a lunch Bible Study at work and the leader invited me to pray to accept Jesus as my Savior. I thought about it and didn’t think the process would harm me as I already believed in Jesus. I prayed to Him then, asking Him for all kinds of help in whatever trouble or dilemma I found myself in. I also read my Bible every night. I even periodically attended a service at the church next to our work place. That’s where my officemate saw me and thought to invite me to join their group. I wiggled my way out of joining them but he persistently asked me until I ran out of excuses not to. Since I read my Bible regularly and attended church every Sunday, I thought I'd join them and teach them what I knew about the Word. Instead, I was puzzled by them when I first attended their study. They were so earnest and sincere in applying whatever they read and studied, into their lives. In my nightly Bible reading, I never once thought to do the same! Needless to say, I was the one who ended up learning a LOT!

I don’t recall that I felt anything during and after praying. However, after that time, I became convinced that God was watching me. It was as if I suddenly became aware of Him with me. Come to think of it, it was very true! Because of that awareness, I could no longer cheat on my income tax filing nor take anything that didn’t belong to me. I used to rationalize my wrong actions as correct but it no longer worked. I gave back extra change and my white lies stopped. What was most surprising was that after I said the prayer, I could no longer willfully do anything that I knew would grieve God. I knew He didn’t like my sins and I actually began to care about what He thought. I prided myself on being
religious but since then, I didn’t want to go through the motions about anything. I didn’t want to just do right for the sake of doing it. I did right because I cared about what He thought of me.

I am so glad I became His follower. Life became much more interesting and exciting. I still had problems but I no longer had to agonize over them. He's always there to consult with and to tell me what I should do. Life is truly better with Him in you. If you’re reading this and He’s not your Lord, please invite Him into your life. You will never regret it. He loves you and already died for you. What won’t He do for you? Furthermore, there is no other God with an incomparable love like His. Obedience and belief in Jesus results in salvation and eternal life. What could be better?

No one really knows about my spiritual re-birthday except God and me. I’d even been forgetting to celebrate! I’d always remember after the date is over. I was so amazed then when a card arrived by post and it was from a friend who greeted (?) me for my birthday (which is in August!). She sent money. She told me to never give up on my dreams. She thought she greeted me in advance for my birthday. I know better. =) The Lord, who remembers all we do, prompted her to send that to me to bless me. Life will be just as exciting for you as it’s been for me since that glorious day. If you haven’t yet, it’s probably time to invite Him as your Lord and Savior. You’ll be glad you did. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment