Sunday, July 22, 2012

Faith Came

Faith is being sure of what we hope for
and certain of what we do not see.

Hebrews 11:1
Last week, our pastor at church taught on faith. I also have been praying with a new friend and we talked about where the Lord was taking us to and it was to a new level of faith and trust in God. I know that this year, as I began to go through the steps necessary to begin my graduate studies in Counseling, I needed to have faith that the Lord would help me do it. Not only is it a daunting task in that I need 27 courses to complete the program but I haven’t written an academic paper in over 20 years! Then there is the cost of each course which is over a thousand and the books aren’t included in that amount! Acceptance into the program was so competitive that I allowed the Admissions Officer to talk me into earning a Graduate Studies Certificate instead. As I realized my fears later, I insisted to be interviewed for the program and was thankfully accepted. Since then, I began to take an online course and I have a 12-page final paper due on Friday which I have not been able to begin to write. Then, last night, Faith came. She’s a new teacher at the school I teach at and also new to the country. I offered to host her since there are two extra rooms in the house but I knew it would mean giving up my time to do my paper. I had to exercise my faith and believe that I will get that paper written anyway. Tomorrow, I will work on it and it will get completed before Friday. I am being sure of what I hope for.

This morning, Faith and I went to church, then we spent the rest of the day together shopping, running errands, eating, napping, praying, and eventually, getting her to where she’s staying.

She asked me how Eng and I met and I narrated how we met in three different line-ups at York University. I told her how after Eng first saw me, he wrote the date on his Bible beside Proverbs 31, about the wife of noble character. The date was to mark when he started to ask the Lord to grant me to be his wife. He had faith! I remember how odd it was then that I would see him from afar on campus and think to myself that I wouldn’t mind marrying him. I hadn’t really even known him then! What a strange thought! And no, I didn’t think that of every man then that I was attracted to! Eng was the only man ever that earned that thought from me!

In Matthew 17:20, it says if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, we can say to a mountain to move and it will move. Nothing will supposedly be impossible for us. Eng and I didn’t go out on a date until a year and a half later after we met but his faith indeed moved me! =)

I am excited that faith came to me and that Faith symbolized it. I see it now. I understand. I was just writing Eng and telling him that talking out our differences is hard work but that we should do it for the sake of relating better. It’s easier to give up and not bother but it doesn’t lead to growth in our relationship. Eng’s faith brought us together but it is my faith that will keep us together. We had our relational difficulties and the last time we were here, there was a real strain in our marriage. However, I am sure that as I hope for a relationship with truly knitted hearts, it will happen. I am certain that it will. With the Holy Spirit, nothing is impossible for us! Thank you, Jesus, for interceding, and praise you, Papa God, for answering our prayers. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment