Sunday, July 15, 2012

Old and New Friends

You move. We want more.
You speak. We want more.
You move. We want more
We want the fullness.

from the song "Shekinah Glory" by Cory Asbury
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snQQhszgSC8&feature=related
I mentioned on the June 12th posting (“Home”) that of the 17 friends that I left last year, only four are in town. Seven of them left for good and the other six will arrive back here at different times (one as late as April 2013). The four in town were themselves away at various times so it’s been very quiet. Thankfully, I’m getting to know new people and my oldest friend (the one I’ve known the longest in Thailand) is back from her own Home Assignment. =) I can see that although replacements of friends can never really happen, new ones will be there to love, and be loved by, in the future.

In the quiet of the last few weeks, I’ve learned to appreciate new types of friends. Songs always seem to evoke all kinds of emotions from me. Each special tune that plays on my computer have become like friends paying me a visit. Our dog Fudge has been a perfect companion. She’s quiet, always where I am, and hardly ever complains about anything! She cannot see very well off her left eye but she is her usual self. Now that she is 10 years old, she’s a LOT slower. It takes her longer to finish her food and instead of leading our walks, she walks lesser distances and behind me. Because the life span of English Cocker Spaniels can be between 10-15 years, I am purposely enjoying her as long as I’m able to.

Like the volleyball “Wilson” in the movie “Castaway” starring Tom Hanks, a batik dancing girl on a square white cloth would every now and then seem to beckon to me to
worship. I hung her on the screen of the living room window so sometimes the wind would make her sway. Each time she does, I cannot resist going over to the keyboard beside her to sing and play. This has worked perfectly since day or night, no one gets bothered by us!

The other day, one of my friends here made me salad with grilled shrimp and fish. She served it with iced tea as we sat in her living room with their air conditioner on watching a very encouraging documentary about how God is moving in different parts of the world. The movie made me cry several times. Just thinking about it warms my heart. That time not just nourished my body but my spirit! Papa God told her exactly what to do because it was perfect! Another friend who lives in the US woke up at 7 a.m. so she could Skype with me and we chatted for 3 hours! She herself was going through a challenging time but she still made herself available to me when she found out what I was going through. And then my best friend in high school who lives in Manila not just thought of coming here to celebrate my birthday with me but she actually booked her flights! A part of me can’t believe she’s really coming. And I can’t explain why these friends did what they’d done. I don’t know what I’d done for them! I really believe it’s the Holy Spirit in them loving me.

And this brings me to my newest friend, the Holy Spirit. I’ve been relating with Papa God and Jesus, I know. The Holy Spirit, though, is someone I’m really just beginning to get to know intimately. It is ironic that the one who lives inside me is the one I know the least. I am glad for this realization! Holy Spirit, I look forward to getting to know You better. Please reveal yourself to me. Help me hear you well and know You more. In my becoming aware of Your Holy Trinity, You are the one I must learn more about. Thank you, that you do want to be known and to be my new best friend. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment