Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Best of Three

It is not the piling up of knowledge. that stills and satisfies the soul,
but the tasting and savoring of things from within.

Ignatius of Loyola
The first week-end of September was extra special and busy because I was at three different resorts for three different kinds of retreats. The first one was the school’s Elementary Staff Retreat which was from Friday morning to Saturday noon. I would have been there the whole time but I was invited to sponsor the High School Chapel’s Prayer Team which had their own retreat from Friday afternoon to Saturday at 2 p.m. As a sponsor, I’m in charge of a team of students that I pray with, guide, or lead (if necessary) as they pray and encourage prayer from all the secondary students. I initially declined the invitation because attendance to its retreat was mandatory and it conflicted with our staff retreat. However, as I casually chatted with a friend and told her what I passed up, she surprisingly advised me to ask permission if I could be excused from part of our staff retreat so I wouldn’t have to miss the chapel retreat. Realizing that nothing could be lost from asking, I did ask, and sure enough, I received my “go ahead”! God definitely affirmed it for me then that I should be the chapel’s Prayer Team sponsor. Now that the first quarter is over, I’m grateful to have met five, young, and passionate prayer warriors. Our times together were interrupted by my being away in Toronto but I’m looking forward to what we’ll do together as a team in the future.

The staff retreat was FUN and entertaining as we spent most of the morning playing ice breakers and team building games to bond us as a unit. By the time the morning was over, we surely felt like we could work better together. Later in the day, we met with our own department members to deal with specific job related topics. Shortly after that, I left them to join the chapel retreat. I was at once met by the energy and exuberance of youth. They were a lively bunch and a lot louder! =)

The next morning, I heard the testimony of Chris. He talked about his childhood and his mother who became mean after difficult life changing circumstances. Due to her mean streak, he became angry, bitter, and rebellious and sought to be loved and accepted in the wrong places. He went to college and soon had a low GPA of 1.9, eventually dropping out. I was amused when he shared that he had three majors: drugs, sex, and alcohol. He also cut himself. Later, he reached the end of his rope and after a series of God ordained events, he prayed to the Lord and felt 200 lbs. lifting off of him. He felt himself made whole and holy. =) His life turned around and changed. He went back to college and made the Dean’s list and graduated Cum Laude. His mother became ill and Chris ended up taking care of her, even washing her feet. He stayed with her until she passed away. Chris ended his story by saying, “Now, I ain’t got nobody.” I sensed the Lord had something else to say about his last statement so we spent a bit of time praying so that he’d hear what the Lord would do in his life.

I left that retreat touched and elated about the events that morning. I was soon on my personal retreat, a day of quiet and stillness, just listening to Papa God and sitting by His feet. I had a great time at the other retreats but the one with the Holy Spirit, Jesus, and Papa God is the best of all three. I wrote in my journal then, “I don’t know how you do it but that you do. Oh mighty God of the universe and everything that lives, you make time for me. I am worthy in your sight.” I am grateful to be able to have that time with God. He always fills me, always satisfies. What a blessing that Eng allows me to go and that he takes over at home. Thank you, Lord, you are my everything and an ever present help. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment